You can completely remove the nonstick coating from cookware, leaving a smooth, clean surface. The look and usefulness of a worn out nonstick pot can be restored without damaging the surface below. Flecks of nonstick coating peel away from well used nonstick cookware, causing foods to release unevenly. These tiny pieces of plastic polymer often end up in the finished dish. Protect the people who eat at your house from unexpected bits of nonstick material in their food by cleaning it from your pan permanently.
- Large stockpot
- Dishwasher soap
- Baking soda
- Heavy-duty plastic scouring pad
- Thick rubber gloves
- Eye protection
- Lye drain opener gel
- Liquid dish soap
- Soft sponge
- Place the nonstick cookware in the bottom of the sink, and pour a half-inch layer of dishwasher soap directly onto the coated surface. Dump a large pot of boiling water onto the cookware until it is completely submerged, and allow it to soak overnight.
- Lift the cookware from the soapy soak and sprinkle baking soda onto the nonstick surfaces until you no longer see them. Scrub in a circular motion with a heavy-duty scouring pad using firm pressure to release the softened nonstick coating. Sprinkle more baking soda on the surface to augment the abrasion of the scouring pad and remove the nonstick polymer.
- Wear thick rubber gloves and eye protection as you apply a thick layer of gel drain opener to the remaining nonstick coating. Place the cookware in a well-ventilated area, and allow it to soak in the lye-based cleaner for at least 48 hours. Warn children and keep pets away from the soaking cookware to avoid injury.
- Put on the gloves and goggles to avoid skin and eye irritation. Rinse the gel from the pan, and use a heavy-duty scouring pad to wipe out the nonstick coating.
- The nonstick coating should now be gone. Clean the cookware with liquid dish soap and a soft sponge before cooking food in it again.
How to Recoat a Non-Stick Pan?
Nonstick pans are a useful tool in the kitchen that removes the need for nonstick spray or oil when cooking a meal. However, the coating on these pans can sometimes become scratched or nicked from utensils or over-use. If you need a way to make your nonstick pan like new, there are several avenues to explore. These techniques range from re-coating the pan yourself to sending it out to have it professionally refinished.
- Nonstick coating repair spray
- Apply a nonstick coating spray to the pan. These can be purchased from online vendors. The spray is applied and left to dry before using the pan again.
- Send the pan to a company that specializes in coating pots and pans with Teflon.
- Contact the original manufacturer of the pan to see if they might help with re-coating. Some high quality pans come with a warranty and the company may refinish the pan free of charge.
How to Recycle Nonstick Pans?
Teflon, the coating on non-stick pans, is difficult to recycle due to the health risks that are linked to the material. Chipped or scratched Teflon is not safe to cook with, and you should discontinue the use of pans when the Teflon is damaged. Once you have discontinued the use of the pans, it is best to recycle them, but not all areas and centers offer recycling options for Teflon products. It is important to learn what the procedure is in your area and what your other options are.
You may also want to learn more ceramic cookware reviews for your cooking.
- Call your local waste management company and ask about their policy on recycling non-stick pans. If the company offers services, follow their instructions to recycle through them.
- Contact the pan manufacturer and ask them if you can send the pans back to them. Chances are, they can re-coat the pans with a fresh layer of Teflon and resell them.
- Have your pans sand-blasted. Contact a sandblaster in your area and ask him to remove the Teflon coating from the pan. This option will make the pan recyclable or even reusable without the complication of a non-stick surface. You can find a sandblaster in your local phone book, but be aware that the process will not likely be free of charge.